Monday, October 14, 2013

EARTHA KITT TEAMS UP WITH BRONSKI BEAT IN 1989: MUSICAL TRIBUTE TO ACTOR DIVINE

A 3-part compilation I'd made of the story behind Eartha Kitt and Bronski Beat's campy hit single "Cha Cha Heels", from 1989.  The song title is in reference to one of Divine's most hilarious moments in the 1974 John Waters cult film Female Trouble.  

Because Divine had passed away before he could get with Bronski Beat in the studio to record it, the lead vocal was offered to classic Cat Woman actress, Eartha Kitt.  Even if Divine never got to record his vocals, Eartha made it her own song in her trademark fashion.  A weird pairing of the two acts but they pulled it off and I still like to play the single once in a while.

Part 1:  "Nice girls don't wear Cha-Cha Heels" - the Xmas scene from Female Trouble (1974)
Part 2:  Interview segment with Eartha Kitt and the members of Bronski Beat (1989)
Part 3:  Bronski Beat with Eartha Kitt: "Cha Cha Heels" music video (1989)



LOL honestly, I have zero idea what exactly "cha cha heels" are.  Not my kinda thing, I don't pay attention to most female-related shit because it doesn't apply to moi, at all.  If you brought me into a crowd and asked me to point out somebody who's wearing a pair of cha cha heels, I'd draw a blank immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment