Thursday, February 19, 2015

COLECOVISION GAMING: BURGERTIME [1982 - DATA EAST]

My first platform was Atari 2600 and because of all the competition in the early 80's, didn't get to play all the home gaming ports of the original arcade classics.  Atari 5200 came and went so fast, less than 25 games were made for it.  Colecovision was the main competitor with Atari 2600 at the time, as well as Intellivision.  I never played either of those because nobody I knew had them - it was all 2600 until the Nintendo NES came out in 1986.  

Imagine how thrilled I was when I discovered emulators and roms a few years ago, so I could finally play some of the platforms and games I'd missed out on from 1981-85.  

The Atari 2600 version of Data East's 1982 arcade BurgerTime was turtle slow and the graphics were hysterical (Mr. Egg was more or less a flashing pencil-shaped line chasing after you - only Mr. Hot Dog was the only recognizable enemy).  However, the Colecovision port of BurgerTime buries the 2600 by a longshot.  The colors, gameplay, everything - until the NES port in the late 80's came out, the Colecovision version of BurgerTime was the best home gaming experience.


No comments:

Post a Comment