Friday, November 15, 2013

MMPR: "DAY OF THE DUMPSTER" [VERY FIRST EPISODE - 8/28/1993] (VHS TRANSFER)

The episode that started it all (in America, anyway):  "DAY OF THE DUMPSTER" - first aired on August 28, 1993.

Rita Repulsa and her Madonna-ripoff mega-cones bra, Goldar, Baboo, Finster and Squat (the latter three not making a single appearance in 1995's MMPR: The Movie) crawls out of a dumpster that landed on Earth and commence to making life a hysterical living hell for Angel Grove.  If you haven't ever seen this camp-fest of a debut episode, I'll spare the spoilers.

MMPR was good for a short time, even for us enjoying it with 420 with friends back in the day, VHS-taped to view after work and laughing our asses off at Rita and Lord Zedd's cornball of a new "monster" created on every episode, and always ending with a Godzirra VS ? battle at the end.  

I'd say I liked the show from the early episodes/original cast, up until a few months after the 1995 movie, when Amy Jo Johnson was replaced with Australian Katherine, as the new Pink Ranger - and shortly after her departure, Aaisha left the show too, and was replaced with Tanya, the third "new" Yellow Ranger.  

Even though Austin St. John ("Jason", the original Red Ranger) first called it quits along with two other originals, he returned around that point circa 1996, as their new "GOLD Ranger".  And that's pretty much where they lost me - even WEED couldn't help me make any sense of where the show was going, and still is today!

Because of the file size, I had to split it into two segments.  So go make yourself some popcorn or roll yourself a joint (YOUR preference LOL), drag out your old MMPR memorabilia and enjoy the wonderful over-acting and over-dramatic female Rangers on the first day American's met this colorful bunch of do-gooders. 

Personally, I'm a Rita fan.  And because I met Austin St. John in Louisville (1995), he and Rita are tied as my all-time retro favorites.



YOU KNOW YOU WANNA SEE SOME MMPR ACTION FIGURE COMMERCIALS DURING THE BREAK!!  STFU, I'M TRYING TO HEAR WHERE I CAN FIND ALL THIS COOL STUFF!!  ;)


OK, ON with the show, and all that........


VHS transfer by yours truly  - ENJOY!!

"IT'S MORPHINE TIME!!!"






It was such a long exhausting weekend, and meeting ASJ was the last thing I done that Sunday evening - I'm surprised I managed to even look half-pissed.  More like looking about to pass out LOL!!  Plus it was my very first weekend ever driving in Louisville - the biggest city I'd driven to/around on my own at age 18.

No comments:

Post a Comment