Monday, December 16, 2013

"C'MON C'MON RELEASE ME": BRONSKI BEAT FEATURING JON FOSTER [1986]

First of all, I found this in my music video archives and had no idea I had possession of it LOL  And secondly, I don't believe I've ever seen THIS video version of "C'mon, C'mon" by Bronski Beat featuring Jon Foster in 1986.  The version I'd seen must have been one for UK viewers, definitely wouldn't have aired in the United States in the so-called "moral majority" era.  In THAT video, Jon sits on top of a palm tree, with two talking coconut hand puppets.......between his legs.  I shit you not.  With Steve Bronski and Larry Steinbachek below the tree, beating and banging on a marimba and xylophone.  THIS video is beyond tame.

I consider myself to be the luckiest bitch on the planet to have befriended online not only Jon Foster but founder Steve Bronski as well.  They're just as human as you and me and IMO they're 80's musical pioneers and I'm like I'M NOT WORTHY LOL!!!  

The original singer who left after one album to form The Communards, Jimmy Somerville, was great too, but he and Jon are apples and oranges and two totally different singers.  And Jon has recorded with Steve Bronski in the 90's.  They know I'm one of their biggest supporters of a Bronski reunion and Steve and Jon have been working at it bit by bit.  Unfortunately, Larry I guess wants to just sit up in his recliner or something at home, he passed on the idea.  BOO to him!  Even more apples and oranges is Jonathan Hellyer (not to be confused with Jon Jon!), their third singer who replaced Jon in the late 80's. 

When I play their first LP Age Of Consent from 1984, it sounds like they were giving the Eurythmics a run for their money.  Then their sound became more about dance music when Jon was hired, which isn't a bad thing - Truthdare Doubledare was far less political than their first LP.


BRONSKI BEAT featuring JON FOSTER 
(with STEVE BRONSKI & LARRY STEINBACHEK)
1986
"C'mon "C'mon"





****************************************

BRONSKI BEAT 
featuring JONATHAN HELLYER and EARTHA KITT
1989
"CHA-CHA HEELS"

No comments:

Post a Comment