Saturday, December 28, 2013

DIANA ROSS & THE SUPREMES - JOINED TOGETHER - WITH THE TEMPTATIONS [MOTOWN'S FIRST SUPERGROUP FEATURING TWO ACTS]

Not long after Cindy Birdsong replaced original and founding Supreme, Florence "Flo" Ballard around 1966 (leaving Patti LaBelle's group Patti & The BlueBelle's), Motown made an impossible-to-fail record marketing tool and paired their male equivalent of The Supremes WITH Diana, Mary Wilson and Cindy for a full LP, which included two top 10 singles and was a bestselling album.  

They performed together on the Ed Sullivan Show and also made two prime-time television specials in the late 60's together too (T.C.B. and G.I.T. on Broadway).

In the 70's, with Jean Terrell replacing Miss Ross in 1970, that year as the "New Supremes" were joined together with the second most-successful all-male group from Motown, The Four Tops, that same year, including their hit single cover of "River Deep -Mountain High".  Two more LP's were released of the 70's supergroup, nicknamed "The Magnificent Seven".  

NOTE:  When I first moved to Arlington/Fort Worth in 2000, I'd found both of those Supremes/Temptations at Forever Young Records in Grand Prairie, TX, for about $35 EACH!  

THIS was before I discovered eBay and learned from my overpriced LP buying mistakes, I'm MUCH smarter bout all THAT sheeit now.  

BUT at least my copy of their second LP CALLED Together was pretty intact WITH the detachable/perforated poster of the illustration of both groups on the cover made THAT one worth the price, I suppose.  





No comments:

Post a Comment