Saturday, December 28, 2013

TECHNICALLY, THE FINAL 1977 SINGLE BY THE SUPREMES - IF YOU LIVED IN THE U.K.

On the American charts, The Supremes' final U.S. single "Let Yourself Go", released in 1977, from their final LP Mary, Scherrie & Susaye (1976 Motown Records).  It barely cracked the R&B charts, somewhere in the 80's, I think - however DID score I believe #5 on the dance/disco/club play charts, along with the first single from the LP "You're My Driving Wheel" (#5 as well).  

If you lived in the UK, Tamla/Motown released a 3rd single, "Love I Never Knew You Could Feel So Good", which was the final cut from the album.  I'm not sure how well it charted, but I think scored #5 club play along with the first two singles.

When the Supremes 70's boxed sets were finally long overdue released recently, in addition to the LP being released on CD for the very first time, some alternate versions from the vaults had been included in the sets, and all unreleased previously.

The alternate/extended and unreleased mix of "Love I Never Knew" was a million times better than obviously edited and cut down version that was actually used on the LP.  

What the LP version is, is a chopped-up edit of this entire recording session.  The instrumental mid-break with the flutes and muted trumpets had been totally cut out of the final LP version and I feel kinda robbed that Motown went with the original album version instead of this entire thing!

For a potential future collection of The Supremes 70's, Harry or Andy said they in fact found yet another unreleased recording of "Love I Never Knew" - clocking in at around 10-12 minutes!  It was too long to include in the sets we'd gotten! LOL

And that's OK, because I'm perfectly happy with THIS version as the best possible complete and final mix of "Love I Never Knew" - don't mess with it, it's not broken at all!

THE SUPREMES:
"LOVE I NEVER KNEW YOU COULD FEEL SO GOOD"
[UNRELEASED ALTERNATE VERSION]
1976/77 MOTOWN RECORDS




No comments:

Post a Comment