Sunday, October 13, 2013

LP VERSION ONLY! NOOOO SUBSTITUTION!

I'm pretty sure I'm not the only person who's got a specific version of a single they prefer and don't care for it any other way.  I've always been picky with the original album version of "When I Looked At Him" by Expose', from their second LP What You Don't Know from 1989.  It was also Gioia's last album with the group, before she'd lost her voice for over a decade but eventually recovered (the group has reunited and now touring the USA).

The LP version is approx 5 1/2 minutes, but the single mix is just a little over 4 minutes.  I'm a former music major so I can appreciate well worked out background vocals and harmonies (especially when it comes to The Mamas & The Papas' vocal arrangements), and loved that solo spot towards the end of "When I Looked At Him", of just Gioia and Ann singing the chorus' background vocals one time before the full group closes it out.  

I avoid that lame edited single mix which omits Ann and Gioia's short moment in the spotlight, if at all possible (which is pretty much EVERY version included on any of their Greatest Hits/Best Of collections on CD!!).


No comments:

Post a Comment