Monday, August 5, 2013

MIXING HOT WAX RECORDS PART 2: HONEY CONE

Another one of my first mixing projects (2006-08ish), around the same time as the 100 Proof Aged In Soul project:  Because Honey Cone's hit "One Monkey Don't Stop No Show" from 1972 was actually released in two parts ("One Monkey...Part I" on Side 1/A, "One Monkey...Part II" on Side 2/B), to me it just made more sense to edit them together into an extended single and enjoy the whole thing in one shot.

I've heard more than once that Edna and Honey Cone sounded a lot like Jackson 5, and I can hear the similarities (especially "Want Ads" reminding me a lot of J5's "I Want You Back", and just as catchy).  

Along with The Supremes and The Three Degrees, Honey Cone is in my top 3 favorite girl groups of the 70's (Love Unlimited not far behind them).  

HONEY CONE:  
"ONE MONKEY DON'T STOP NO SHOW" [PARTS I and II - EXTENDED MIX]
EDITED/MIXED BY SCOTT 2006-08




*********BONUS CUT**********

HONEY CONE FEATURING SHARON CASH
"SOMEBODY IS ALWAYS MESSING UP A GOOD THING"
[RELEASED 1976 - AS THE "NEW/REFORMED HONEY CONE" - THEIR ONLY SINGLE AS THIS LINEUP]

The original group had the original hits, but Sharon Cash and this one and only disco single as Honey Cone is by far my overall favorite single by them (no offense to Edna).  Loved the drums, the bassline, horns.  And Sharon's voice reminds me a lot of Alicia Bridges or something.  On the same level as something from The Supremes' final LP released that same year and produced by the Holland brothers as well.  Too bad they only lasted that one single - HDH got anything else with Sharon in the vaults? ;) LOL




Sharon Cash.  We barely knew ye DAMMIT!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment