Wednesday, August 21, 2013

"YOU TAKE MY VERY BEST AND GIVE ME LESS - TIRED AND I JUST CAN'T TAKE NO MORE"

Even though "Let Yourself Go" is my favorite single from the Scherrie Payne era, I got equal love for their last top 40 single (1976, from their next-to-last LP High Energy) "I'm Gonna Let My Heart Do The Walking", because it was the only one of two songs I had to start with from their final three LP's (the final two cuts included on a 2-disc Supremes Anthology from the 80's).  Until I'd actually found those three album's, that single from the High Energy LP (1976) and "It's All Been Said Before" from The Supremes (1975) were the only two cuts I had to go with and knew of the Scherrie Payne era, for a couple years.

This version of "Let My Heart Do The Walking" The Supremes perform to on Soul Train is a totally different mix (making it about 5 I know of that exists, like the extended version from the 2000 Supremes Boxed Set), including elements of the solo version Susaye Greene had recorded.  Cindy Birdsong had recorded her vocals with Scherrie and Mary Wilson on the High Energy LP but had left the group once again, was replaced by Susaye Greene at the last minute, who recorded a few vocal elements to the album before it was released in 1976.  After this one, they released a final album the same year, Mary, Scherrie & Susaye.

Without any push from Motown Records, because their attention was focused elsewhere (especially films like Lady Sings The Blues, Mahogany, The Wiz and other Motown films starring Beyonce....I mean, Miss Ross LOL!!), the girls were lucky to have at least scored one successful hit with their third (and lesser recognized) lead singer, Miss YOUNGER Sister Of Freda Payne.  Who looks and sounds so much alike Freda Payne, it was as if Freda, herself, had joined The Supremes - talent runs in their family!

The single at one point had also became the "jingle" for the American Heart Association.

(VHS transfer)

THE SUPREMES: "I'M GONNA LET MY HEART DO THE WALKING"
RELEASED 1976, from HIGH ENERGY
#40 U.S. Pop ***  #25 U.S. R&B 
***  #3 Disco/Dance Clubplay




"WALK ON HEART.......WITH YOUR BAD SELF!!"




No comments:

Post a Comment