Sunday, August 18, 2013

MY #1 FAVORITE SINGLE BY THE SUPREMES.......IN MONO?!?

Because it's hands-down my most favorite single by The Supremes, I'll listen to it any way you want to give it to me.  Surprisingly a couple years ago had found an unplayed so-called "White Label DJ Promo" vinyl 45 RPM of "Let Yourself Go" (1977) by The Supremes - Side 1 being a "Mono Mix", Side 2 being the "Stereo Mix".

I'm assuming because I'd been listening to "Let Yourself Go" all this time from their final LP, Mary, Scherrie & Susaye, it was entirely a stereo mix that I'm familiar with.  By 1976/77, pretty much all albums were being released as a stereo mix - unlike the 1960's, where you usually had a choice of your favorite hit single by Diana Ross & The Supremes, Jefferson Airplane or The Mamas & The Papas either as a stereo mix single, or a mono mix single.  Back then, those two mixes were easy to differentiate.  By 1977, I'd think mono mixes were pretty much obsolete - so I really don't get why Motown went through the trouble.  But in MY case, as we say here in TX - "PREE-SHATE IT!!" LOL!!

My opinion, I can't tell much difference between this 45 RPM mono mix and the stereo LP/original single mix I've been listening to all these years.  It's "Let Yourself Go".  It's Scherrie Payne, Mary Wilson and Susaye Greene, produced and written by the Holland's.  And that's perfect enough.





MOTOWN DISCO DOESN'T GET ANY BETTER THAN THIS!!

No comments:

Post a Comment